- Day 1 – Local departure by coach or Door-to-Door service, then onward to our hotel in Rouen for two nights.
- Day 2 – Today we look at the first major Allied attempt to effect a large scale landing on the French coast. In August 1942 Canadians and British commandos laid down the lessons for D-Day but at huge cost. We see the area where No. 3 Commando fought its actions on the flanks, and around Dieppe see the Canadian landing beaches, the bunkers that defeated them and look at the use of tanks. We also visit Dieppe War Cemetery. Breakfast
- Day 3 – We move from Upper Normandy to St. Nazaire, but en-route stop at the superb Saumur Tank Museum which is France’s national war museum of armoured vehicles, with everything from Shermans to Tiger tanks. We stay in St. Nazaire for two nights. Breakfast
- Day 4 – Operation Chariot was the attack on St Nazaire by Naval and Commando forces in March 1942 when HMS Campbeltown rammed the dock gates of the port used by German U Boats. The operation also resulted in the award of five Victoria Crosses. We look at the raid, see the U Boat pens* and have time to visit the U Boat museum (at own cost). In the afternoon we visit the British graves at Escoublac-la-Baule War Cemetery and the German War Cemetery at Pornichet. *Please note: A degree of walking is required when visiting the U Boat pens as this is a vast area. Breakfast
- Day 5 – We depart St. Nazaire and visit the Grand Blockhaus Museum, a superb example of the Atantlic Wall defences in this area. At Lorient we see the huge U Boat submarine pens which sheltered the Nazi U Boat fleet which operated in this area. After lunch we travel to Caen for two nights. Breakfast
- Day 6 – In Normandy we look at the role of American Rangers and British Commandos. At the Maisy Battery we explore a newly preserved gun battery site attacked by the US Rangers, seeing trenches, bunkers and gun pits, with guns in place. We then see Pointe du Hoc where Rangers assaulted the cliffs and visit the Rangers museum at Grandcamp. In the afternoon we follow the story of British commandoes on D-Day from Sword Beach to the Eastern Flank, visiting the Piper Bill Millin memorial and the Amfreville-Breville battlefield. Breakfast
- Day 7 – Return home. Breakfast